Skip to main content

Week 12 Story: Beth Gellert

There was once a hunter who had a loyal German shepherd named Max that he considered to be his best friend. Now Max was extremely loyal to the hunter, always guarding the hunter and his daughter throughout the night. It was important for Max to do his job as the forest they resided in was full of wolves looking for their next meal. As such, Max was a vital part of the hunter's life as he went off to hunt for food thus leaving his daughter to herself. One day, the hunter decided to head to the forest in hopes of finding food for him and his daughter. It had been a long winter and food was often scarce to find. As he normally he did, the hunter ordered Max to watch over his daughter while he was gone hunting. For hours the hunter remained in the woods, hoping to find some deer, rabbit, or animal that he could bring home. Finally, after dutifully searching for a target, the hunter took down a massive deer to return to his household. However, as he returned to his home, he noticed something wrong with Max. His teeth were dripping with blood and he was outwardly gasping for air. The hunter immediately became alarmed. Had Max attacked his daughter? The hunter could not believe it. Max had been loyal to him for so long. Why would Max ever try to attack his daughter? The hunter ran into his home and could not find his daughter anywhere. He searched everywhere until he came across blood near his daughter's bed. With each step, the hunter became increasingly dreadful of what he would uncover. Yet as he approached he bed, his daughter jumped out from underneath and ran into his arms. She was sobbing uncontrollably as she told the story of Max fighting off a wolf to save her. Sure enough, the hunter saw from across the room the body of dead wolf. The hunter, feeling guilty for ever doubting his loyal dog, decided to reward Max with some of the deer from the hunt, never to question the loyalty of his best friend ever again.

Author's Note: The basic plot of the story is pretty much the same as the original story that being the dog saves the child from a wolf. However, I changed it to where the dog is applauded for his actions rather than immediately killed for being suspected as killing the child. Moreover, I changed the dog to a German Shepherd from a greyhound due to my own German Shepherd named Max.

Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).

Pixabay: Max who comes to save the day

Comments

  1. Hi Neal!

    I really enjoyed your story, especially since it was about a German Shepard and loyalty between a dog and its owner! I'm assuming you used your own as inspiration (I just read your intro post). The only suggestion I would have is maybe separate it into a few paragraphs, since it's just one giant one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Neal!
    Your story was such a fun read. I really enjoyed and the dog part of the story was awesome to read and made it an amazing story. I enjoyed the story as you used the dog really well throughout the story. Being a dog owner and writing my own storybook with dogs really makes this story amazing! I hope to see more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neal,
    I am so happy that you changed the ending of the story! As the proud mom to a pup of my own, I was horrified by the ending of the original story. I really enjoyed your version and that German Shepard is so cute! I love it when people write about things from their lives, it makes the stories better, I'm not sure if it really does or I just enjoy it more. I look forward to reading more of your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neal,

    I think I like your version of this story better than the original. It would have been so sad to see the loyal dog die a death it didn't deserve. Also, I am a sucker for happy endings! Furthermore, I think that your version of this story captures the devotion that dogs have to their owners. Dogs are so loyal and kind and I feel like we don't deserve them. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Neal!

    I really liked this story! It put such a fun spin on the original! I think happy endings are much better than sad ones, and I love what you did with the story. From your introduction, I know you love dogs, so it would've been sad to see the dog die at the end of this. I can't wait to read more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Neal! I really enjoyed the story you created! I would be worried too if the dog that watched over my daughter had blood on his mouth. I wonder why the wolf attacked when such a fierce dog was protecting the daughter. I'm glad Max was rewarded with some of the meat! Also, Max is the name of my sister's dog and we (I guess it's only me) always call him Maxipad!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)