Skip to main content

Feedback Thoughts

The article "A fixed mindset could be holding you back — here's how to change it" really appealed to me as it examined the fixed concept among physicians, my career aspiration. Physicians are often surrounded by life and death scenarios where an adaptable mind is needed for constantly changing situations. As I have gained experience shadowing physicians and understanding the medical world, I  too have realized the significance of having a growth mindset and using constructive feedback. The most productive feedback I have received involved criticisms that acknowledged the drawbacks of my work, but also gave me a path to learn from my mistakes and evolve my growth mindset. Learning from model examples or demonstrations are two types of feedback that I consider to be effective. On the other hand, feedback with the intention of disparaging the work for any little reason really provides no value or incentive to improve. The other article, "Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work", provided some quality methods to improve a growth mindset. The suggestion of avoiding social comparison is one I have had to learn over the years as in high school I would sometimes gauge my level success relative to other's success. Growing from this mindset has allowed me to pursue my own goals without having to place unnecessary pressure on myself due to presence of others. Additionally, this has allowed me to focus more on myself and understand my strengths and weaknesses in order to self improve. Self-feedback can be a difficult concept to understand and master, but I believe that being able to recognize one's own faults and mistakes can lead to the most improvement. This is something that I have applied from my schoolwork to my hobbies such as tennis.

Needpix: Feedback is a necessary component of improvement

Links to Articles:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-26/fixed-vs-growth-mindset-at-work-and-in-life/9897782
http://www.spencerauthor.com/seven-ways-to-crush-self-doubt/




Comments

  1. Hi Neal,

    When it comes to growth mindset, I too have had to deal with the topic of limiting social comparison. In our day and age, social comparison is so easy to fall victim to because of our high abundance of social media, magazines, news broadcasts, and television shows. I was wondering if you have found any techniques that you believe work best in helping you combat this social comparison in the hopes of being able to increase your growth mindset.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)