Skip to main content

Reading Post: Week 2 Anthology

The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal 

Reading this Indian fairytale reminded me of the many other short stories that I have read where the cunning animal defeats the powerful adversary ( Hare and tortoise for example).  My immediate imagery from reading this short story was similar to that of The Jungle Book. The collection of animals such as the tiger, monkey, buffalo, and jackal created an image of a hot, Indian jungle. Additionally, the author uses specific examples such as "pipal-tree" to help conjure this image. In regard to the characters, the Brahman was an easy figure to support in the story. My research of a Brahman revealed that they are normally priests or teachers of the Indian caste system which helps explain why the tiger labels the Brahman as being "pious". It is clear that the Brahman's greatest strengths are his virtue and integrity, but in the story, they prove to be his weakness initially. However, despite being held captive by the tiger, the Brahman is able to escape thanks to the work of the jackal. Perhaps, the short story is commenting on how good works (the Brahman freeing the trapped tiger) will eventually result in good rewards. My previous experience in Indian culture involved studying the concept of karma which would fit with this interpretation. In addition to the Brahman, the jackal plays a prominent role in the climax and conclusion of the story. Like with Brahman, my research of the jackal and its depiction in stories and folktales revealed to more of the significance of the animal. The jackal, similar to the coyote or fox, is often associated with being clever and witty. Thus, its depiction in this short story should be of no surprise. I certainly was wondering how the jackal would outwit the tiger at the end, but see his method of doing so as definitely plausible. The author's use of dialogue to depict the jackal's method of wittiness was effective. From the tiger trying to explain to the jackal to the jackal acting incompetent, the dialogue was the primary driving force in the progression of the plot. Repetition was seen in the jackal's response of "Yes, my lord!" which is a common literary effect in myths and folktales. Overall, this was a clever short story with a satisfying ending.
Flickr: The Brahman asking the buffalo for advice

Bibliography: Story source: Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1912).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)