Skip to main content

Topic Brainstorm


Some ideas for my storybook!

1. Olympus Sports League

My previous knowledge of Greek mythology comes from my experience reading the Percy Jackson series in elementary school. I was fascinated by the numerous personalities of the deities, especially how each god had their unique relationship with each other god/goddess. I am interested in exploring the relationships between the numerous gods by establishing an Olympus sports league of some sorts. The ancient Olympics as well as other ancient Greek sports could help me choose what sport to base the league on. Additionally, I could take a modern interpretation and incorporate modern sports into the league. For example, each god could be considered an owner of a team with many demigods/heroes consisting of the team. My research would focus on the relationship, feuds, and stories between the many gods as they vie for the championship at the end of the season.

Link: https://www.theoi.com/greek-mythology/olympian-gods.html

2. The tale of the Tiger

I have always had interest in tigers from an early age, especially whenever I went to the zoo. Seeing that there is no story book focused on tigers, I would be interested in creating something new. The focus of this storybook would be on the many depictions of tigers throughout mythology and folklore. I would present the Tiger as the general narrator of the website, welcoming the reader to explore the many aspects of his personality. I would explore the normal expectations of tigers such as their fierce appearance, but also examine their unexpected relationships with humans as seen in the stories of Uncle Tiger and The Tiger's Foster Child. Overall, the storybook from the tiger's perspective would try to challenge the reader's assumption of a tiger being merely a ravenous and scary creature.

Link; https://sites.google.com/view/lkgtigers/india

3. Greek God College Applications

Again, my interest in Greek mythology comes from my readings years ago as a child. I have always enjoyed reading stories where Greek gods are placed in contemporary times, and I see this idea as fitting well within my interests. For this storybook, I would examine the younger Greek gods/goddesses, such as Apollo and Artemis, as they are trying to complete college applications to the universities of the Olympus world. Each "application" would list the strengths and weaknesses of each god, as well as recount specific experiences that would make them a more appealing candidate.

Wikimedia Commons: Apollo, god of the sun


Link: https://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Apollon.html

4. The Devil: Misunderstood

 The battle between good and evil is a concept that everyone learns from an early age, often associating such evil with the devil. While I too share this sentiment, I do not have much knowledge of individual stories regarding the devil itself. The premise of this storybook is to have the devil as the narrator explaining himself to the readers.  It will reveal the rewards he has given to people, such as in The Drunkard's Son, or the times he has been bested by people, like The Devil's Bridge at Mynach Falls. He will do his best to present himself as being misunderstood, but his true intentions will eventually reveal his true self.

Link; https://sites.google.com/view/lkgdevils/home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high schoo...

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Week 6 Lab: Story Revision of "The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal"

One day a Brahman happened to be walking through the sultry jungles of India. While on his walk through the thick forage, he came upon a tiger stuck in deep hole. The tiger was in much distress and was crying out to the Brahman to help him out. Yet, the tiger's sharp teeth and fierce appearance caused the Brahman to hesitate. The Brahman stood in his tracks and pondered in his thoughts: "Why should I help this tiger? He's only going to attack me when I let him go." However, the tiger started crying, "Oh please please please let me go!". "I'll do anything anything!". The tiger kept on going for a quite a while, and the Brahman began to get annoyed. "Okay tiger, I'll get you out", the Brahman said grudgingly. Using a nearby stick, the Brahman pulled the tiger from its place deep in the Earth. The tiger landed on the ground with a loud thud and immediately grabbed the Brahman onto the ground. "How dumb you are! There is nothing ...