Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part B Filipino Tales


Like Part A of the Filipino tales, Part B is a collection of short stories from the Philippines. One story read was Why Mosquitoes Hum. I was drawn to this story because I was curious to see how the stories explained the humming of mosquitoes. As I am sure many people can agree, this buzzing can often be a nuisance. Without the help of the note above the story, I probably would have not understood the characters in the story. I tried to research the character names online to see the language of origin but failed to find an answer. I would think the names are of Tagalog origin due to the presence of the language on the islands, but it is difficult to confirm my inclination. It is interesting to see how the author uses personification to bring the animals to life in the story. I was confused by the author mean when the Lamoc, or mosquitoes, were carrying fire. If perhaps the the Lamoc referred to lightning bugs, then it would make more sense, but this confusion may be due to lack of understanding of words or meanings in the Filipino culture.  The setting of the story is in Bohol which is a province in the Philippines. According to my research, it is known for its coral reefs and geological formations such as beaches and coves. Thus, it makes sense why the crabs played a prominent role in the story if the setting was in Bohol. The ending of the story is unfortunate as a human having to deal with mosquitoes, but it provides a fun explanation to why humans like to hum around the ears of people. Most fairy tales and stories tend to give these explanations to basic real life aspects, so it is not surprising to see the story focus on the mosquitoes humming.


Bibliography: Filipino Popular Tales by Dean S. Fansler (1921).


Wikimedia: Bohol, the setting of the story

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high schoo...

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Week 6 Lab: Story Revision of "The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal"

One day a Brahman happened to be walking through the sultry jungles of India. While on his walk through the thick forage, he came upon a tiger stuck in deep hole. The tiger was in much distress and was crying out to the Brahman to help him out. Yet, the tiger's sharp teeth and fierce appearance caused the Brahman to hesitate. The Brahman stood in his tracks and pondered in his thoughts: "Why should I help this tiger? He's only going to attack me when I let him go." However, the tiger started crying, "Oh please please please let me go!". "I'll do anything anything!". The tiger kept on going for a quite a while, and the Brahman began to get annoyed. "Okay tiger, I'll get you out", the Brahman said grudgingly. Using a nearby stick, the Brahman pulled the tiger from its place deep in the Earth. The tiger landed on the ground with a loud thud and immediately grabbed the Brahman onto the ground. "How dumb you are! There is nothing ...