Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part B Jewish Fairy Tales

Part B of the Jewish Fairy Tales is similar to Part A in that is a collection of short stories and fairytales. They seem to be mainly directed to children as they are easy to read and tend to impart some a lesson or wisdom onto the reader. Of the short stories, King for Three Days was notable as one of the characters is an actual historical character. The historical connection is seen at the end of this story as statues of Godfrey de Bouillon are mentioned to exist currently in places such has Belgium. Godfrey de Bouillon in the short story is depicted as a greedy king with a dislike of the Jews and thus wants to take over Jerusalem. In regards to history, Godfrey de Bouillon did in fact take over Jerusalem and like he does in the story, he refuses to call label himself as king of the city. While Godfrey de Bouillon reason for conquering Jerusalem was due to his hatred of the Jews, his actual reason for doing so in real life was due Pope Urban II calling for crusade to liberate Jerusalem from Muslim forces. Additionally, his conquest of Jerusalem led him to being characterized as a man of great strength, and he is often considered a hero of Belgium. Despite this praise of Godfrey de Bouillon, he is not depicted as so heroic in the short story. This may because of his loathing of Jews and the fact that this short story is included in collection of stories called Jewish Fairy Tales. Adding to this fact is how Rabbi Rashi is depicted as holy and all knowing. His role in the story helps to show Godfrey de Bouillon's arrogance as he is initially unwilling to accept any negative predictions of his future. Overall, the short story is a quick read of a historical figure's story through a Jewish perspective.

Bibliography: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa (1919).

Wikimedia: A real depiction of Godfrey de Bouillon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)