Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part A Jewish Fairy Tales

The six stories from Part A of the Jewish Fairy Tales were reminiscent of many folk tales: short and with a simple lesson or explanation of some part of life. Notably, the story of the Cat and Dog and how they became categorized as enemies was an interesting read. While it focused on the development of the rivalry between cat and god, it also included some biblical characters such as Adam. The story characterizes the cat to be more unlikeable and evil while the dog is considered the unlucky animal that is trying to make it day by day. There is obvious personification as the reader is able to listen to the animal's dialogue, but the animals are also able to communicate with Adam himself. Other animal characters are included such as the wolf. The wolf is depicted as a kind character, but his decision to make the dog go drive the intruders away almost cost the dog his life. As such the wolf's characterization is controversial as it might be in its depiction throughout other folktales. While cat and dog story is more used to explain a general concept seen in life, the other stories are utilized to impart wisdom and lessons. The Beggar King presents a story that teaches not to violate holy texts and to value the blessings of life. The character arc of the king is notable as he goes from a unlikeable, ungrateful character to one who has leaned the mistakes of his life. Unlike the cat and dog, there is no prominent animal characters, but the genie is used to bring the lesson of the story to the reader. As the reader, I was somewhat surprised that the genie made the king live as a beggar for such an extended period of time, but I can understand that he wanted to ensure that the king had truly leaned his lesson. Overall, Part A of the Jewish Fairy Tales was a fun read.

Bilbiography: 
Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa (1919).
Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa (1919).

Pixabay: The rivalry between the dog and cat explained by Jewish fairy tales.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)