Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part A Khasi Folktales


The Khasi folktales is similar to the Indian fairy tales in that is a collection of stories. Notably seen in both collections of stories is the prominence of animal characters. Specifically, this aspect is seen in the Khasi folktale The Tiger and the Monkeys. In this short story, the tiger's fear of monkeys is a "real-life" explanation. The tiger seems to have a prominent role in Indian stories, especially when considering the Khasi people are from a state in India. I have also found that the Bengal tiger is the national animal of India, adding to the animal's significance in that area of the world. Again, the premise of the story is to explain why the tiger is afraid of the monkey. Outside research does not really seem to confirm this idea that tigers are fearful of monkeys, so this story may have more regional meaning rather than universal significance. The characterization of the monkey is on par with typical portray of monkeys that I have seen before. The monkeys in this story are clever and use trickery to get what they want. Similarly, the tiger also seems to the traditional characterization of its species. This is seen its in portrayal as king of the jungle with no regard for other animals. When researching the significance of monkeys in India, it is evident that that monkeys do have a part in Indian culture. An example can be seen in how common monkeys are in the urban areas of India. My own personal experience in visiting India only confirms this sentiment. Additionally, the god Hanuman in Hinduism, the main religion of Indians, is characterized as having a monkey head. Returning back to the story itself, I was surprised to the see the tiger so readily accept the monkey in marriage. I was not expecting this huge,noble, and powerful animal to want to marry a monkey, so this might be an aspect of the story I may alter in my retelling.

Bibliography: Folk-Tales of the Khasis by Mrs. K. U. Rafy (1920).

Wikimedia:  A Bengal tiger, common to India

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)