Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part A South African Folk-Tales

The South African Folk tales are a collection of short stories that have a heavy focus on animals from Africa, Many of the stories are about elephants, lions, jackals, or even ostriches. In particular I read the story, The Lion, The Jackal, and The Man. The story title reminded me of the story The Brahman, The Tiger, and The Jackal, from the Indian short stories which is why I immediately chose to read this short story. Like the Indian story, this story has a dominant animal, the Indian one being the tiger and the South African story being a lion. Additionally, both stories eventually lead to the fall or defeat of the lion and tiger. Also notable is how the jackal is common to both stories. My research of jackals led me to find that they are commonly located in India and Africa, so it really is not a surprise that they are in both stories. Moreover, I found out that the jackal is a close relative of the coyote and are often depicted as a clever, witty animal in numerous myths and folks. This is especially seen in Egyptian culture where Anubis, the god of afterlife, is depicted as having a jackal head. In regards to the story, I was surprised to the see the courage of the lion facing the gun shots of the man. I was expecting the lion to be defeated by the gun and not knives. I do wish there was more elaboration on the setting of the story, Despite being a South African folk tale, it is difficult to picture where the plot is being held as my knowledge of the lands of South Africa are limited. For my story retelling, I might include a specific area of South Africa that is known for their lions in order to increase the imagery of the story.

Bibliography: South African Folk-Tales by James Honey (1910).

Wikimedia: The clever jackal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high schoo...

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Week 6 Lab: Story Revision of "The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal"

One day a Brahman happened to be walking through the sultry jungles of India. While on his walk through the thick forage, he came upon a tiger stuck in deep hole. The tiger was in much distress and was crying out to the Brahman to help him out. Yet, the tiger's sharp teeth and fierce appearance caused the Brahman to hesitate. The Brahman stood in his tracks and pondered in his thoughts: "Why should I help this tiger? He's only going to attack me when I let him go." However, the tiger started crying, "Oh please please please let me go!". "I'll do anything anything!". The tiger kept on going for a quite a while, and the Brahman began to get annoyed. "Okay tiger, I'll get you out", the Brahman said grudgingly. Using a nearby stick, the Brahman pulled the tiger from its place deep in the Earth. The tiger landed on the ground with a loud thud and immediately grabbed the Brahman onto the ground. "How dumb you are! There is nothing ...