Skip to main content

Week 9 Story: Jackal, Dove, and Heron


There was once a mother Blue Crane who looked after five of her children. One day, while feeding her child in the wetland areas of the Western Cape, a brown hyena approached her. He demanded that the Blue Crane give up one of her children or else he would swim across and take her entire family. The Blue Crane was immensely worried. Here she was, a small and weak mother bird, merely trying to take care of her family. As she sat in her nest pondering of what to do, she came up with an idea. She yelled to the hyena to give her another day to choose which of the five children she would give up. The hyena, knowing that he was guaranteed a meal tomorrow, quickly agreed and head off. Now the Blue Crane was in a conundrum. What could she do to save her children? As she thought, she remembered the favor she had done to the queen of the lands, the Lioness. Just recently Blue Crane had informed Lioness of her son's willingness to explore the lands late at night, a behavior that easily worried and angered his mother, the queen. Hoping her plan would work, she traveled to the queens abode. As she approached the lioness, she explained her predicament, doing her best to persuade the queen. The lioness listened attentively and could see the distraught in the Blue Crane's eyes. Never forgetting her subject's favor, she acquired to her plan. The next day the hyena came hurriedly to the Blue Crane's home, drooling for his meal. He shouted to the Blue Crane to give up one her children or else he would take them all. Yet, as he shouted his demand, a loud roar erupted from behind the hill near the wetland. Slowly, a pride of lions gathered on top of the hill as the Lioness glared at the hyena. She shouted to the hyena to leave Blue Crane alone or face the wrath of her family. The hyena, with his tail between his legs, sprinted away from the wetland to forever leave the Blue Crane alone.

Author's Note: The original story had a jackal, dove, and heron. Because it was a South African story, I wanted to include the blue crane, which is the national bird of South Africa, and the brown hyena which is commonly found in Southern Africa. I also changed the outcome of the story by having the hyena punished for his deeds. This unlike the original story where the jackal is not faced with any consequences for his actions. Moreover, I included the lioness as a character to bring resolution to the story.


Bibliography: South African Folk-Tales by James Honey (1910).

Wikimedia: The Blue Crane, a watchful mother

Comments

  1. Hi Neal! I really liked your story. I thought it was very clever of you to change the characters in the story to reflect the common animals in Southern Africa instead of keeping the original characters. How cool! I also appreciated that you changed the outcome of the story so that the hyena was punished for his deeds. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neal. Nice job on your story! Your writing really brought across what a hard decision the mother was being faced with. I like how you described everything in your story in a very clear way. I think that you made some really good decision with ways you changed your version of the story. Did you consider including any dialogue? That might have added even more personality to your characters.Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)