Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part A Celtic Fairy Tales


The Celtic Fairy Tales unit is a collection of short stories from the books of Joseph Jacobs. While the stories were written in 1892, they are overall quite easy to read as they are written in modern prose. Specifically, I focused on The Horned Women of the stories offered in Part A of the unit. Reading this story was somewhat confusing to keep up with due to the many rituals and of the witches, but I seemed to get the basic understanding of the story. I was left wondering why exactly the witches decided to come to the home of the mistress and begin weaving. It is all very peculiar and perhaps my inability to understand the witches ceremony may be due to my lack of knowledge of Irish culture. Also is there any significance with Slievenamon, the home of the witches? I also wonder if there is anymore to do with the Spirit of the Well. For example, does the Spirit of the Well have a history with witches. Are there more stories detailing the relationship between the spirit and the witches? I believe there is much I could elucidate in potential retelling of the story. Additionally, in my retelling of the story I would also want to make the rituals more clear or show the significance of the spells. For example, why does the feet-water keep away the witches? It is kind of hard to fully comprehend why any of the magic in the story works or makes sense because they all do not really seem to be connected. I think a brief research of the importance of magic or spirits in Celtic culture would make this more clear. Overall, the short story was an interesting but somewhat confusing read. There is much I could add and take away in a potential retelling.

Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).

Wikimedia: A map of the Celtic nations of which the story originates from 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high school. N

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Barcelona: My Favorite Place

A Christmas trip to Barcelona following my first semester at OU introduced me to a city that captured my heart. Because of my previous experience in highschool taking art history, I was engrossed in the modern architecture of the city, mainly of the work of acclaimed architect Antonio Gaudi.  Moreover, the night life and unique Catalan traditions conveyed a city with a blend of modern and traditional tastes.  Finally, as a huge soccer fan I was amazed by the sight of Camp Nou, the home of Barcelona FC and one of the cathedrals of soccer. (La Sagrada Familia; personal image) (Local food market; personal image) (Max Pixel:  Camp Nou , Home of FC Barcelona)