Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Part B Beth Gellert


Similar to Part A of the Celtic Fairy Tale unit, Part B is a collection of short stories. While the story I read in Part A was more focused on the supernatural, the story I read in Part B, Beth Gellert, was grounded to realistic events. Overall, the story was quite sad due to the tragic ending of the story. Once the Prince saw that the dog had blood in his mouth, I can have had an inclination that he would blame the dog for supposedly murdering his child. Being a big dog person, this made the ending of the story even more sad to read. Perhaps in a potential retelling of the story I can portray the dog as a hero who is able to be rewarded for his actions of saving the child from the wolf. Researching Gellert on Google has revealed that the story has more significance than realized. There are portraits depicting the dog saving the child, and there is even a grave in the village of Beddgelert, Wales. However, this grave has no historical significance as it was meant more as a tourist attraction. Moreover, the story is even depicted in the Disney movie Lady and the Tramp. However, in this case the dog is rewarded for saving the child, this time from a rat rather than a wolf. The legend of Gellert is seen also in poetry as there are numerous English poems concerning the tragedy of the heroic dog. Moreover, the story of Gellert has also been transferred to other cultures. In Malaysia, there is similar story but with a bear rather than a dog saving the child. Again the bear is killed by the father as he thought the bear had killed the daughter. The story of Gellert is an interesting story, and I think it would be an interesting to retell.


Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).

Wikimedia: Gellert saving the child from the wolf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the RealNeal

Wow. It is crazy to think that I am already back in Norman for my junior year. While my first two years were full of unique experiences, I never imagined that I would be a writing a blog to begin my third year! To start off, I am psychology major on the pre medicine track. Ever since I took psychology in high school I found studying the mind and the way people act so interesting. However, I always had the goal of becoming a physician which explains the pre-med track.  Although I am an OU student, I still consider myself a proud Texan. I come from a relatively small town in East Texas where high school football is king and perhaps the most famous thing is that Matthew Mccounaughey graduated from my high school (he even came to our high school graduation this year to give a speech!). Wikimedia Commons : Longview High School Now some other facts about me. I am a huuuuuuggeeeeee tennis fan. I have been playing tennis since I was 7 years old, and played through out high schoo...

Comment Wall

Welcome to the Greek mythology Common App comment section! Feel free to comment, share, or predict whose application will have the most success! Link to storybook : https://sites.google.com/view/greekcommonapp/home Wikimedia : Temple of Apollo, a major figure of the storybook

Week 6 Lab: Story Revision of "The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal"

One day a Brahman happened to be walking through the sultry jungles of India. While on his walk through the thick forage, he came upon a tiger stuck in deep hole. The tiger was in much distress and was crying out to the Brahman to help him out. Yet, the tiger's sharp teeth and fierce appearance caused the Brahman to hesitate. The Brahman stood in his tracks and pondered in his thoughts: "Why should I help this tiger? He's only going to attack me when I let him go." However, the tiger started crying, "Oh please please please let me go!". "I'll do anything anything!". The tiger kept on going for a quite a while, and the Brahman began to get annoyed. "Okay tiger, I'll get you out", the Brahman said grudgingly. Using a nearby stick, the Brahman pulled the tiger from its place deep in the Earth. The tiger landed on the ground with a loud thud and immediately grabbed the Brahman onto the ground. "How dumb you are! There is nothing ...